10 Things To Know For Monday, February 17
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday, February 17:
1. ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES CO-PILOT HIJACKS PLANE BOUND FOR ROME
Boeing 767 with 202 passengers and crew is diverted to Geneva by a man seeking asylum in Switzerland.
2. PENN STATE EXPECTED TO NAME NEW PRESIDENT
Board of trustees hasn't identified candidate who would end 15-month search for next head of Pennsylvania's largest university.
3. KERRY ACCUSES ASSAD OF STONEWALLING ON PEACE TALKS
Another round ended last week without progress. Secretary of State wants Russia to push Syria to negotiate with opposition leaders.
4. WHAT MAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR EPIDEMIC OF HEROIN DEATHS THIS YEAR
Authorities say more than 80 people have overdosed on a drug spiked with fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opiate typically given to people in chronic pain.
5. SCRUTINY OF PUTIN NEVER ENDS AT OLYMPIC GAMES
Eyes are on competitors for a few minutes; for Putin, it's 17 days. He responds with the slightly chilly aplomb that is his hallmark.
6. HOW POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS ARE MOVING BEYOND TARGETING DEMOGRAPHIC GROUPS
Instead of soccer moms or union members, emerging technology called Addressable TV allows advertisers to reach specific individuals.
7. WHY JAMAICA HAS AMBITIOUS PLANS TO TRANSFORM HARDSCRABBLE HARBOR TOWN
The goal is a port that will lure the deep-draft ships expected to start using the Panama Canal when its expansion is completed next year.
8. PAKISTAN HAS FIVE NEW CASES OF POLIO JUST IN JANUARY
Last year, the country had 92 cases, almost double the number in Nigeria and Afghanistan.
9. 'SNAKE SALVATION' PASTOR DIES AFTER HE'S BITTEN BY RATTLER
Jamie Coots, a Kentucky preacher who appeared on National Geographic's reality show, was killed by attack during Saturday night church service.
10. ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS TREES IN GOLF SUCCUMBS TO ICE STORM
The Eisenhower Tree, named because Ike hit it so many times off the tee, was on the 17th hole at the famed Augusta National Golf Club.