10 Things To Know For Monday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. PHOTOS APPEAR TO SHOW MILITANTS KILLING IRAQI SOLDIERS
The insurgents who have overrun cities and towns in Iraq posted the images of apparent captives soaked in blood after being shot at several locations.
2. HOW IRAQ CHAOS COULD INFLUENCE OBAMA ON AFGHANISTAN
The turmoil raises questions about whether the U.S. president's plans to keep a small military presence in Afghanistan until the end of 2016 can prevent similar violence there.
3. 'NOW WE HAVE TO FIGHT THIS DO OR DIE WAR'
That's how Pakistan Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif characterizes a new offensive against foreign and local militants in a tribal region near the Afghan border.
4. VOICE OF 'AMERICAN TOP 40,' 'SHAGGY' GOES SILENT
Casey Kasem, who counted down the hits for a quarter century, died at 82 after suffering the effects of dementia.
5. WHO'S RALLYING AGAINST COMMON CORE
Home-schooling parents, often with kids in tow, are a frequent presence at legislative hearings and other political functions, rallying against the education standards.
6. WHY CHANGING POT LAWS PROMPT CHILD-ENDANGERMENT REVIEW
While a marijuana plant in the basement may not bring criminal charges in many states, the same plant can become a piece of evidence in child custody or abuse cases.
7. ISRAEL PREMIER: HAMAS KIDNAPPED 3 MISSING TEENS
The crisis has escalated already heightened tensions between Israel and the new Palestinian government, which is headed by Western-backed President Mahmoud Abbas but backed by Hamas.
8. GOP'S MIDTERM STRENGTH COULD LEAD TO 2016 TROUBLE
Republicans' talk of finding a winning strategy for presidential elections can get drowned out by confident, conservative lawmakers coasting toward re-elections in the House or Senate.
9. WHEN U.S. FACTORIES CLOSE, INCOME GAP GROWS
Manufacturing's decline is a key factor in the widening gap in wages between the rich and everyone else.
10. KAYMER DOMINATES IN U.S. OPEN WIN
Martin Kaymer of Germany coasts to an eight-shot victory over Rickie Fowler and Erik Compton.